cost of living in ho chi minh city
In general, prices in Vietnam are relatively cheap compared to the average level of the world. However, some cases of sellers selling overpriced compared to provisions tourists, especially foreign tourists. To avoid this, you can refer to the prices of some basic commodities that we have listed below. If the price too much higher than the price we provided, you should refuse, do not hesitate!
Case 1: You buy in supermarkets or convenience stores, listed prices, you can be assured to buy.
Case 2: You buy in traditional markets, grocery stores or places no prices listed, you need to ask the price before buying. If the price is too high compared to the price we provided (below) you should not buy. Do not forget to bargain before buying.
Our prices provided here for reference only, actual prices may vary, however, the differences are not large.
Some commodities we calculated the average price or estimate.
The prices here are in the area Ho Chi Minh city (HCMC). Unit: dong
You should refer to the Destinations, Food & Drink and Discovery column for more informations.
- Bus fares: 5,000 - 6,000 (within HCMC). 6,000-25,000 (inter-municipal).
- Taxi fares: 15,000 (per km).
- Grabbike: 4,000 (per km).
- 3G internet: 70,000 (a month).
- Banh my Saigon (Saigon bread): 10,000-20,000/loaf (depending on the shop).
- Pho: 25,000 - 50,000/bowl.
- Bun bo Hue ( Hue beef noodles) : 25,000 - 50,000/bowl.
- Banh Xeo: 15,000 - 30,000/unit (for Mekong Delta Banh Xeo). 3,000-5,000/unit (for Central Vietnam Banh Xeo).
- Goi cuon (spring rolls): 3,000 - 10,000/unit.
- Banh cuon (rolled cake): 15,000 - 30,000/plate.
- Lau (Hotpot) : 90,000 - 250,000/pot.
- Mi Quang (Quang noodles): 15,000-30,000/bowl.
- Hu Tieu (noodles): 15,000-45,000/bowl.
- Com Tam (broken rice): 20,000-45,000/bowl.
- Che (sweet soup): 6,000 - 15,000/glass.
- Banh Trang Tron (mixed rice paper): 10,000 - 20,000/bag.
- Ca phe da (iced coffee):10,000 - 15,000/ glass.
- Ca phe sua da (iced milk coffee): 12,000 - 15,000/glass.
- Tra sua (milk tea): 15,000 - 25,000/glass.
- Sinh to (smoothie): 20,000 - 40,000/glass.
- Nuoc trai cay (fruit juice): 20,000 - 40,000/glass.
- Coca Cola, Pepsi: 10,000 - 15,000 (retail and peddle).
- Saigon beer: 15,000 - 20,000 /can.
- Nuoc mia (sugar-cane juice): 5,000 - 7,000/glass.
- Shorts: 50,000 - 200,000.
- Jeans: 150,000 - 400,000.
- T-shirt: 50,000 - 200,000.
- Shirt: 150,000 - 400,000.
- Slippers: 20,000 - 60,000.
- Medicines for stomachache, headache: 15,000-20,000/dose. (at pharmacies).
Prices above for places not listed prices, ordinary quality. If you buy at the shopping mall or the well-known brand, prices may be higher.
If you buy in the traditional markets, grocery stores, small coffee shops and small restaurants which prices exceed the prices we provided, please do not buy.
You can refer to more detailed prices at Destinations, Food & Drink and Discovery column.